Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Stained Glass Kitchen Cabinet Panel made into a Window Hanging

Inserting stained glass panels into kitchen cabinet doors is a popular way to decorate and personalize a kitchen.  Stained glass pieces, properly cared for, last dozens of years.  In many cases, the kitchen needs renovation before the stained glass does.  This blog entry shows the process of re-purposing a pair of Iris-themed kitchen cabinet panels.

Here are the pair of Iris panels as they came to me.  I added a Post-It note to the top to indicate the front of each panel, at my customer's preference, since either side would look good.

 Her request was to simply add hanging hooks so that her mother could put them in the windows of her new apartment.  However, this panel was not reinforced with a metal frame. Without the reinforcement, the hooks would have eventually caused the panels to crack.  Below, see that I've added a thin zinc "channel" frame to the sides and bottom of the panel.  Holding the metal framing in place is a "jig" or "fence" which is pressed against the frame and held in place with push pins.


Notice below that I've soldered the existing solder lines directly to the metal reinforcing frame.  I've also soldered the mitered corners at the bottom of the panel.  

In order for the existing lead lines to accept new solder, its necessary to burnish off the patina using a thin gauge steel wool as shown below.

Now the frame is in place and I've soldered a small metal ring to the back of the panel as shown.  The ring is a "jump ring" which has been tinned.  This means I coated it with liquid flux and brushed on a thin coating of solder.  I also added a small amount of solder to the frame at the spot where I wanted to attach the ring.  Holding the ring in place with needle-nosed pliers, I applied the soldering iron to the ring which caused the solder on both the ring and the frame to melt.  Then the hook becomes strongly bonded to the frame.  It will now support the weight of the panel.

Another view of the soldered-on "jump ring".  The metal is wet because I had just applied black patina to it.

Here is a view of the finished panel.  Its actually sideways in the holders that my husband Eric made for me to display my work for photos.
 Here is another view, showing the ring on the top side.  The ring on the opposite side is not visible.  This is a wonderful way to re-purpose kitchen cabinet stained glass panels.  To see more examples of kitchen cabinet panels, please click here.  This project will be listed first, followed by several others.  When you get to the bottom of the page, click on "Older Links" to see more.  Thanks!

Please visit my website to see my custom windows and repairs (click here).  And if you are on FaceBook, become a fan and I'll keep you up to date on all my stained glass projects.  Call me any time at 201-600-1616 or email with your questions. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment