Friday, September 15, 2017

Dutch Stained Glass Suncatcher Repairs

This lovely trio of sun catchers was owned by my customer's late mother.  She is from our town, Midland Park, NJ which was settled by the Dutch in 1894.  Around town there are several windmills surrounded by tulips on front lawns. These were very meaningful to her and I was happy to repair them for her.  Only two of the three needed repairs.

Here is the windmill which sustained several cracks in the lower corner.  Note that these windmills are constructed using lead came, not copper foil.  I don't usually work with lead came but since the repairs were basic, I took them in.

 Using the glass cutter to score the glass to prepare it for removal.

Now all of the cracked glass has been removed.  I used the inner border to draw directly on the replacement glass for a good fit.

Scoring the border of the replacement piece.

Grinding the edges of the glass.

And here is the completed repair.  I worked the glass inside the borders of the existing came.  Since it is a soft media, the glass was a good fit.

The little Dutch girl has a crack in her bosom and there's a piece cracked out of her skirt.

Here I've scored the yellow area and I'm using the metal end of the cutter to crack out the glass.

Now I've traced a new piece of glass for the replacement.

Using running pliers to snap the glass. I went back with the glass cutter to score and remove the glass around the outline.

After the glass is properly cut and ground, I'm now inserting it into the boundaries of the lead came.

Now both suncatchers are repaired.  Notice that I replaced the original old hanging hooks with new ones.

And here's the trio, including the Dutch boy which did not need repairs.
Thanks for bringing these to me, Cindy!  I'm happy to know that they are back up in a window here in town.

For more information on my other projects, please click here to visit my website.

If you're on FaceBook, please click here to "like" my BoehmStained Glass Studio page to keep up with all the latest projects.  Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment