Friday, October 6, 2017

Boxy Stained Glass Fixture Repair

Not all repairs are complicated and lengthy.  Here is an example of a one-piece replacement that got a contractor out of hot water.  One of his crew accidentally broke a customer's lighting fixture.  Since he was under the gun, I was able to repair this for him quickly.  Here's the process ..


This is a modern hanging lamp fixture.  The bottom is facing up.  The center of the lamp where it's open is the part that cracked.

The glass was already gone by the time it came to me, so that saved one step.  Here I'm tugging up the old fol and solder to prepare the surface for the replacement glass.


When glass is cut without being grinded, its sharp and shiny.  Here I'm using a hand file to sand down the glass.  This makes it safer to handle as I work, and it also helps the copper foil to adhere better.


Now I'm applying new copper foil in the same width as was used originally.


 Here I'm outlining the piece of replacement glass.
 

Grinding ..

The replacement glass is in place and new copper foil is added all around.  To assure the strength of this repair, I also added strips of flat, braided reinforcement braid underneath.  It connects in several places to the body of the lamp and can't be seen.

Soldering the foil after applying liquid flux.  After this step, the area receives a thorough cleaning.

Applying black patina to the silver solder, followed by another cleaning.  After the area is dry, I applied stained glass finishing compound.  This is a light wax which protects the patina and gives a nice shine.

And here's the repaired lamp.  My thanks to Joe for bringing this lamp to me for repair.
For more information on my other projects, please click here to visit my website.

If you're on FaceBook, please click here to "like" my BoehmStained Glass Studio page to keep up with all the latest projects.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment