Thursday, April 13, 2017

100th Repair - Pool Table Lamp

This is cause for celebration .. My 100th stained glass repair posted to this blog. Most have been lamps but also many panels and windows.  All a pleasure for me to do .. I really enjoy the process of bringing them all back so they can be enjoyed again.  Here's the story of the pool table lamp repair.

This lamp had been damaged in a move about a year ago.  The owners finally got to unpacking the basement and decided it was time to repair their pool table lamp.

One end was badly damaged as seen here.  Several pieces of the dark glass (which is a green) and many more amber pieces.  Also, the frame was bent out of shape.

Another view.

I began the repair by making a template of the opposite side, so that I could re-create the proper curve on the damaged side.

Using gloved hands, I tugged and coaxed the shade back to the original shape.  Here's a photo taken in the process.

After the frame was in generally the correct position, I decided to repair the uppermost amber pieces first.  Here I'm using needle nosed pliers to tug out the old foil and solder after I'd removed the cracked glass.

As with many other older lamps, the glass on this one had not been ground prior to foiling.  Grinding the glass helps the foil to adhere.  Therefore I went in with a metal hand file and ground the borders for the new piece.

Here I've traced a pattern for the replacement glass.

Now I've lined the border with adhesive copper foil.

Tracing the pattern onto the glass.

With straight lines, I "score" the glass with this "oil-filled pistol grip glass cutter".  Then I use the metal end of the cutter to tap repeatedly along the score line, front and back.  Eventually the glass will crack along that score line.

Using the electric grinder to smooth the edges.

Now the amber pieces in the upper row have been replaced and soldered.  I'm moving onto the green row.  Again I'm using the metal hand file.

The border of the opening as well as the replacement piece have been copper foiled.  Then I applied liquid flux which is a catalyst that helps the solder to flow freely.  Here I'm soldering the piece in place.

Now all of the green pieces are replaced.  I'm spray-washing the whole area to remove all traces of flux.

Now I'm moving down to the border.  I used one of the loose pieces as a template to cut the ones that need to be replaced.

Another view of the cracked pieces at the bottom edge of the lamp.

More pieces cut which will replace cracked ones.

Now all but one of the amber pieces and one green piece have been replaced and soldered in place. After those remaining two pieces are in place, I fluxed and soldered the inside of the dome. Then I spray-cleaned it all another time.

Here I'm applying black patina to the solder.  After it sets, I wash it all off again.  Then I apply stained glass finishing compound to the work area and the rest of the lamp.  This is a light wax which protects the patina and gives the glass a nice shine.

And here is the repaired lamp.

A view of the end which was damaged.  Thanks for bringing this to me, Steven.  May you and your family enjoy it in your new home for many years to come!
For more information on my other projects, please click here to visit my website.

If you're on FaceBook, please click here to "like" my BoehmStained Glass Studio page to keep up with all the latest projects.  Thank you!


  1. I really like how you made it. Stain glass repair is a tough thing to deal with and you made it quite well

  2. Thank for the compliment, Ollieus! Yes, that's true .. No two repairs are the same. Every one requires individual treatment. I love what I do!