Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stained Glass Cardinal complete and installed

This Cardinal was a "fill in" project started back in April.  Please click here to see the Cardinal and two other birds started then.  I created each of them to fill in a few of the nine 6-1/4" x 11" glass panels in our back door. (Click to enlarge any photo).

Eric cut 4 small brass tabs which I soldered onto the back of the piece as shown below.  I used square balsa wood sticks to rest the tabs on during soldering.
Below is the front of the panel with the tabs soldered.  Its been patina-ed black. These panels feature clear textured autumn leaves glass from Delphi.  Its a thick glass that adds dimension and privacy yet allows light to shine through.  The brilliant orange-red is a wispy glass which I cut to show the movement of feathers.
I always use a partially clear glass for birds' and animals' eyes.  In this case, I used black-on-clear Baroque glass to add life to the piece.
And here it is!  To install this panel, Eric partially removed the mullions and slipped the panel underneath the center window, making sure to catch the tabs underneath.  Worked like a charm! 

Do you have this type of door?  If so, I would be happy to create custom panels to add color and character to your home.  Give me a call at 201-600-1616 and inquire.

Upcoming will be two more birds to join the Cardinal. (Or the designing of the octagonal window project, whichever comes first).

Click here for Boehm Stained Glass Studio website.

No comments:

Post a Comment