Thursday, September 12, 2013

Panel with Bevel Clusters and Blue Gems - Soldered and Framed

As of the last posting, each piece of glass had been copper foiled.  My next step is to add my signature. Below, I've etched my name and the month and date inconspicuously to the lower right hand corner glass.

Notice that I have not applied copper foil to the entire outer edge.  This is to make it easier for my husband Eric to install the metal channel frame later on.  There is no need to apply foil to the outer edge of a panel unless it is to be tinned instead of framed..


At random joints throughout the panel, I've inserted some flat, braided copper reinforcement wire.  Its visible in the seam between the glass pieces, below.  Once that seam is soldered, the wire virtually disappears. This reinforcement adds extra strength to the piece, and contributes to its longevity.

The next step is to prepare the panel for tack soldering.  Here I'm brushing on Canfield Blu-Glass Flux along all the seams.  On the left is my breathing mask which i use when I'm soldering.

Shown below is the joints tack-soldered.  This is a preliminary step to ensure that the glass stays in place when the "fence" or "jig" is removed from the border.

Since the pieces of glass are secured, I'm now sliding out the pattern or "cartoon".  This is to protect the paper pattern from the chemicals and the soldering process.

Below, the front of the panel has been soldered.

Here I'm spraying on Kwik-Clean Flux and Patina remover which I dry off with a towel.

The two blue gems in the center of the panel are dimensional and protrude a bit from the front.  Therefore, when I turned the panel over to solder the back, I rested it on two magazines so that the panel will lay flat and the solder will flow evenly.

Here, I'm soldering each of the seams.  I turn the panel frequently as I work so I can get the best angle for nice soldering lines.

I sprayed and dried the back side of the panel.  After both sides of the panel have been soldered and cleaned, my husband Eric measures and saws lengths of metal channel and installs them around the outer edge of the panel.  Then I solder the corners, and on the back only, I solder the lead lines to the frame for added strength.

After another cleaning, I begin applying the Novacan Black Patina to both sides.  I always work from the bottle cap to avoid risking contaminating the bottle.  It works instantly.  I let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then I spray and wash off the residue.
 

And here is the finished panel!  I usually photograph completed pieces outdoors to catch the natural light, but it is raining and I didn't want to wait for the "big reveal".

Here is a view from the side, lit so that the textures of the glass and bevels can readily be seen.  Click on the photo to enlarge for a better look. Around the outer border is classic glue chip glass.  The small medium blue corner squares are rough rolled glass.  And the clear glass around the bevel clusters in the center is called Artique.  My customer and i worked together to create a simple, yet classic pattern with appropriate glass for his older home.

Thank you Geoff .. It was a pleasure working with you!  Eric and I look forward to installing your new stained glass panel tom'w night!  (Photos to follow)

Please visit my website to see my custom windows and repairs (click here).  And if you are on FaceBook, become a fan and I'll keep you up to date on all my stained glass projects.  Call me any time at 201-600-1616 or email with your questions. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment