Friday, February 10, 2017

Small Blue Lamp Repair

This cracked little lamp had been waiting in an attic for a long time.  Its owner finally brought it to me for repair.


Here it is, with two broken pieces.

The first step in any lamp repair is matching the glass.  Here I have the pale blue/white opal glass and the blue cathedral needed to do the repair.

Starting with the blue piece, I cross-hatched it with the glass cutter.  Then I used the metal end of the cutter to smash out the cracked pieces.

After all the glass was removed, I tugged off the old solder and copper foil from the borders, using needle nose pliers.

Using a piece of Manila folder, I'm preparing a template from which to cut a replacement piece of glass.
 

Here's the pattern on the new blue cathedral glass.

Here I'm using the oil-filled pistol grip glass cutter at a 90 degree angle to score the glass.

Grinding the edges of the glass, for safe handling and for better adhesion of the copper foil.

Now both pieces have been re-cut and foiled.  Its ready for soldering.

And voila!  Here is the finished lamp.  Since the solder will remain silver, I did not apply patina.  I just waxed the entire lamp after cleaning it thoroughly.

And here's a view in different lighting..
Here is a nice note from my customer!
"Thanks again Kathy, the lamp looks beautiful and I’m glad I can use it again.  I can’t even tell where you fixed it!"
You're very welcome, Cindy .. It was my pleasure!

For more information on my other projects, please click here to visit my website.

If you're on FaceBook, please click here to "like" my BoehmStained Glass Studio page to keep up with all the latest projects.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment