Monday, October 23, 2017

Stained Glass Autumn Leaf Sun Catchers

Here are some sun catchers I made a while back as a gift.  Just thought I'd post them today, after seeing the leaves in full color in Pennsylvania Delaware Valley region.  Quick, simple designs.

I found a few designs through Google.  Then I traced them onto a Manila folder, using carbon paper.

I used a variety of autumnal colored glass, all Cathedral (see through), some with textures for interest. Here all the glass has been cut.  I also ground the edges of the glass.

Applying adhesive silver back copper foil to the edges of each piece of glass.  Copper foil comes with the insides in three colors: copper, black and silver.  The inside of the foil should always match the color of the patina.  Since these leaves will be left silver, I'm using silver back foil.

Another view of the foiling process.

I've pinned the pieces of glass into the Homasote work surface to prevent them from shifting as I work.  Now I'm applying liquid flux to the copper foil.

I've soldered the fronts of the leaves and I've created a hook for each leaf.  I've done this by wrapping a length of wire around a metal brush.  The hooks can be seen in the center of the photo.

Now I've soldered on all the hooks and they're ready for hanging.

And here they are, ready for Fall and ready for the window.  I recommend using Command brand 1/2 lb hooks which are made specifically for adhering to glass.  They are much safer and long lasting for sun catchers than any of the suction cup holders.
For more information on my other projects, please click here to visit my website.

If you're on FaceBook, please click here to "like" my BoehmStained Glass Studio page to keep up with all the latest projects.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment