Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stained glass kitchen cabinet panel pattern

Re-creating a duplicate of an existing stained glass window is a different process than creating a new one.  Here's how I'm doing it.  

Using tracing paper (click to enlarge photo, See #1), I traced directly over the lead lines in the leaves panel.  Then I added 1/2" to each side to make it the same size as the amber glass it will replace. (Glass shown in the previous post).

Since the tracing paper is too delicate to build the panel on, I had a paper copy made at Staples. (I recommend them over Kinko's). (See #2) From the paper copy, I used carbon paper to trace it onto manila folders (See #3) which then becomes the pattern used to cut the glass.  (Click on photo to enlarge).
I labeled the pieces of the manila folder pattern by quadrants, left and right, with each quadrant assigned a different letter.  This will keep the pieces organized as I lay them over the glass and outline them for cutting. 

I cut the pattern with double-bladed pattern shears which allow for a small bit of space between each piece for the adhesive copper foil which will come later.

The next step is to start cutting the glass.  As the glass "jigsaw puzzle" gets filled in with glass pieces, I'll be posting further updates with photos.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment