Thursday, February 1, 2018

Wedding Invitation under Glass

Here's a bit of a departure from usual projects.  I was commissioned to enclose a wedding invitation under glass.  My customer had one made for her own wedding years ago and wanted the same for her friends.  She brought hers to me as an example and I replicated it.  The process ...


For the back piece of glass, I used clear Glue Chip which has a winter frost texture to it, very appropriate for a December wedding.  I faced the texture to the inside, so that the glass would be smooth in back and have a bit of grip to the inside.  The front piece of glass was clear windowpane glass.

After measuring the invitation and the glass, I cut each piece and then brought them to the grinder to smooth the edges.

Then I added a border of 1/4" silver back copper foil to the borders of both sheets of glass.  The side of the foil facing inward is silver.  I chose this color because the solder will not be patinaed, it will remain silver.  By using foil with a silver interior, it will not show through the glass.

To secure the invitation to the Glue Chip glass backing, I added a few glue dots as shown.  They are perfect circles and very sticky, ideal for attaching to the glass.

After the invitation was trapped between the two sheets of glass, I taped them together securely. Then I applied liquid flux sparingly to the borders and carefully soldered the sides together.

 Here is the invitation within the glass after I applied decorative solder to the front edge as shown.  My customer's invitation also had a decorative border, so she wanted the same for her friend.

Next, I used 20 gauge copper wire wrapped around a metal brush to create two hanging hooks for the back.

Here's one of the hooks embedded into the back border.

And here's a back view of the finished invitation which shows five glue dots and the hanging hooks.

All done! These make great gifts .. The glass is heavy and sturdy and the decorative solder on the front makes it even more unique.  Thank you Donna and Chad for bringing your project to me.

For more information on my other projects, please click here to visit my website.

If you're on FaceBook, please click here to "like" my BoehmStained Glass Studio page to keep up with all the latest projects.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment